DIY Tutorial: 6 Point Christmas Wood Star Ornament
Don’t you just love this variation on a star bead ornament?? We made a slightly different star by making it a 6 point, and using wood instead of silicone and we are loving this look! Find our 5 point silicone bead Christmas star here!
- sharp scissors
- lighter (if using cording)
- 24x 14mm beech wood beads
1. Gather up your supplies and string your crafting needle on your cord of choice.
2. Thread on 12x 14mm beads, pushing them to the middle point of your cord.
3. Taking the working end of your string, pass your craft needle around and through your first bead the opposite direction, creating a loop.
4. Pull your cording to round out your loop.
5. On your working end of the cord that your crafting needle is still strung on, thread 2x additional 14mm wood beads.
6. Take your needle and work counterclockwise - skip a bead and push your needle through the next bead. Pull the cording taught.
7. Thread on another 2 beads in the same color and repeat step 6.
8. Continue doing this until you have gone the entire way around the loop. Your star should be taking shape. Keep pulling the string taut as you work.
9. You will end up with your cords coming out either side of your starting bead.
10. Take your crafting needle off your working end (which is now much shorter than the other cording end), and thread the needle on the other longer cord.
11. Thread the cord counterclockwise through the corner bead closest to it.
12. Thread one of your 6x 15mm silicone beads. Feed the string back down through the next corner bead.
13. Go through the bead on the original loop.
14. Repeat step 11, 12 & 13 until you have a bead at each point of the star.
15. After your last point, your cord should meet up with the other loose end of cording. Tie a tight double knot. Trim your cord and lightly with a lighter (being carefully not to get the flame too close to your wood beads) melt the cording so that it can’t fray.
16. Take another smaller length of cording, thread your crafting needle on it, and feed it through a silicone tip bead. This will be where your ornament hangs from. Tie a double knot in the cord. This will determine the length of your loop to hang your ornament. Trim your cording, and run your lighter over that knot so that the knot is slightly melted and secure.
17. When the knot is cool, rotate your loop and pull the knot into the centre of the silicone bead.
18. Voila! Your handmade 6 point star ornament is ready to hang up and enjoy!
*The products, materials, and supplies sold by Cara & Co. Silicone Craft Supply are intended for use by adults and should never be left unattended with a child.
***Small objects and beads can present choking hazards to young children. Never leave a child unattended with beads or other products. Always dispose of any damaged product. No product is completely indestructible, and fully formed teeth could potentially damage product if chewed aggressively, so responsible attentiveness is needed for any user or purchaser. Customers should always inspect and monitor their products, discontinuing use at the first sight of damage.
****Once our products have been sold and shipped to our customers, Cara & Co Silicone Craft Supply Inc., waives all responsibility and liability from the use of our products. Customers are responsible that their final products made from our supplies meet the appropriate safety requirements for their region. Our buyers understand that by purchasing our products or using suggestions from the above tutorial, the buyer assumes any and all responsibility and liability for the use of the products.
*****Cords, clasps and pacifier clips are not intended to be chewed on and may present choking hazards.