DIY Tutorial: Rainbow Abacus
Sometimes the best gifts are lovingly crafted and made with careful attention and care. We L O V E this gold DIY Rainbow Abacus - it’s the sweetest addition to a nursery #shelfie and such a fun and easy craft to do!
Your supplies are minimal and our gorgeous Beech Wood Abacus beads couldn't look any more sophisticated.
Disclaimer: Our Abacus was intended to be a decor item only and to be kept out of reach of baby, but if you do plan to make this for a toy please be sure to use non-toxic paint & glue. Be sure that you glue all your wires well and test their hold after the glue has dried to avoid any loose bead mishaps.
- Beech Wood Abacus Beads (as many as you want on your Abacus - we used 18)
- Wire Cutters
- Metal Ring Macrame Hoops (we purchased a multi pack with a variety of sizes)
- Strong Glue that works for Metal and Wood
- Wood Block (approximately 11”x3”)
- Drill with bit size to match your hoop ring thickness
Step by Step
1. Gather up your supplies. If you are planning to paint your Abacus beads, do so before assembling your Abacus so that your beads have time to dry.
2. For spray painting beads that will not be handled by children, simply use a wooden skewer pushed through the sides of a box. The box will catch the extra spray, and the skewer will keep the beads suspended while they dry and cure.
3. Measure your hoops and find the sizes that work for you. We chose a 7.5” hoop, a 5.5” hoop, and a 3” hoop.
4. Taking your wire cutters, cut your wires directly in half.
5. Do this to all three (or however many you are doing) sizes. Line them up to make sure that all your lengths are equally spaced, and that all the bottom edges line up well.
6. Take a board and cut it down to size. We chose a piece of oiled Walnut and cut it down to approximately 11”x3” with a thickness of ¾”. Measure out the spacing of your hoops, and pre-drill holes in your board that are about ½” in depth.
7. Using your glue of choice, drop glue into the holes. Wipe away any excess.
8. Taking your smallest hoop size, place your beads on the wire, and insert the wire into the pre-drilled holes.
9. Continue doing this until all your hoops are used and you’re happy with the look of your Rainbow Abacus.
10. Set aside and allow your glue to set.
If you’ve followed this tutorial and want to share your Rainbow Abacus with us we’d LOVE to see! Make sure you tag us in your photos on Instagram!
*The products, materials, and supplies sold by Cara & Co. Silicone Craft Supply are intended for use by adults and should never be left unattended with a child.
***Small objects and beads can present choking hazards to young children. Never leave a child unattended with beads or other products. Always dispose of any damaged product. No product is completely indestructible, and fully formed teeth could potentially damage product if chewed aggressively, so responsible attentiveness is needed for any user or purchaser. Customers should always inspect and monitor their products, discontinuing use at the first sight of damage.
****Once our products have been sold and shipped to our customers, Cara & Co Silicone Craft Supply Inc., waives all responsibility and liability from the use of our products. Customers are responsible that their final products made from our supplies meet the appropriate safety requirements for their region. Our buyers understand that by purchasing our products or using suggestions from the above tutorial, the buyer assumes any and all responsibility and liability for the use of the products.