Making a teething toy for your own baby or handmade shop couldn’t be easier! Carefully follow our step by step tutorial on how to make a safe and secure triple strand teething toy.
- 60” Regular Cord
- 4 x 15mm Beech Round Beads
- 27 x 15mm Round Silicone Beads (we used white marble, pastel blue and salted caramel)
- 2 x 1.75” Maple Wood Rings, or 2 x silicone donut rings, or 2 x 1.75" beech rings (*coming soon)
- Crafting Needle
- Pliers (you can purchase a pair as part of our Crafting Tool Set here)
1. Gather your supplies together.
2. Take your cording and melt the ends slightly using the lighter. (This will help make threading your beads easier, and prevent fraying.)
3. Thread on your 4 beech wood beads, leaving them about 10” from the end of the cord.
4. Using the cord end that is longer than the other, thread on 9 of your 15mm round silicone beads and slide them against the beech beads.
5. Take your 2 wood rings and thread them on, placing them over the beech beads.
6. Using the same side of the cord that you just threaded your silicone beads onto, carefully thread your needle. Take your needle and thread it through your 4 beech beads starting from the left side (you might need your pliers for this part!).
7. Pull your cord nice and tight. You should have a round loop created.
8. Taking your longer cord again, thread on 9 more 15mm round silicone beads.
9. Thread your cord onto your needle and using pliers, thread it back through the 4 beech beads again to make your second loop. Once again, pull both ends of the cord nice and tight.
10. Thread half of your remaining beads onto one end of the cord, and the remaining half onto the other end.
11. Tie the 2 ends together with a double or triple knot. If you have Knot Grippers, use them to make the knot extra tight! (you can find them here in our shop). Lightly melt the knot with a lighter to fuse it together.
12. Once the knot is cooled, thread one of your cords with the crafting needle. Carefully thread the needle through one of the beads beside your knot. (You may need pliers to help you get the needle through!) Pull your cord all the way through that bead, carefully pulling that knot into the bead to help hide it. You should have a string on either side of this bead. Trim them carefully, and use your lighter to melt the ends back that may be sticking out.
Et Viola! Your Triple Strand Teething Toy is ready to gift someone or retail! Always make sure that you test your knots by pulling on your loops, and ensuring that your knots are well fused/melted. If you ever have questions regarding best practices for safety, we would recommend our Safety eBook! It’s full of practical information and resources for ensuring your products are the safest they can be!
We hope you enjoyed this teething toy tutorial! Be sure to tag us on instagram if you make your own using #createdwithcarasupply We love seeing your creativity!
*At Cara & Co, we take safety seriously. We have had our custom tutorial design above third-party tested by a CPSC accredited testing lab to ensure it meets compliance standards for Canadian (SOR/2011-17) and US (ASTM F963-17) children's toy requirements. However, this does not remove the responsibility of each customer to ensure that the products they create from this tutorial are tested and meet all relevant compliance standards.
**The products, materials, and supplies sold by Cara & Co. Silicone Craft Supply are intended for use by adults and should never be left unattended with a child.
***Small objects and beads can present choking hazards to young children. Never leave a child unattended with beads or other products. Always dispose of any damaged product. No product is completely indestructible, and fully formed teeth could potentially damage product if chewed aggressively, so responsible attentiveness is needed for any user or purchaser. Customers should always inspect and monitor their products, discontinuing use at the first sight of damage.
****Once our products have been sold and shipped to our customers, Cara & Co Silicone Craft Supply Inc., waives all responsibility and liability from the use of our products. Customers are responsible that their final products made from our supplies meet the appropriate safety requirements for their region. Our buyers understand that by purchasing our products or using suggestions from the above tutorial, the buyer assumes any and all responsibility and liability for the use of the products.
*****Cords, clasps and pacifier clips are not intended to be chewed on and may present choking hazards.