We have been LOVING the wood toy trend of the last couple years. It’s so exciting to see durable, handmade toys in the hands of our kids. They remind us of the toys we grew up with!
Pinterest is just bursting with wood toy ideas and Montessori style learning games, and we had to try our hand at one!
- Non-toxic acrylic paints
- Small paint tray or plate
- Small paint brush
- A pencil
- 10 x Wooden Peg people - (we used the man)
- 10 x 2.60" Beech wood rings
1. Gather up your supplies. Take your peg person and lightly draw the outline of a number on the front.
2. With a small paint brush and your non-toxic acrylic paint of choice, start by outlining the number you drew. Move around the back of the peg person until the body is painted in up to the head.
Tip: Don’t use any water while painting. Acrylic paints work best on wood when you have a dry brush using only paint. When you wash out your brush between colors, make sure you dry the bristles as well as you can!
3. You may need to paint several layers. Wood products tend to soak up the paint as it dries, and you will need a couple layers of paint to make a solid color.
4. After your peg person is painted and set aside for drying, begin painting your wood beech ring.
5. Paint both sides of your ring, allowing it to dry before flipping it over. The paint may soak in, so paint a couple layers until you’re happy with the color.
6. When your ring is dry and able to be handled, take a small rounded paintbrush end. Dip it into some white paint, and use the end of the brush to make your counting marks on the ring.
7. Allow the peg person and ring to dry completely. You can finish them with a clear finish, or leave them as they are.
We found a cute little box at our local dollar store to contain our peg people counting game! It keeps the look of a wooden toy set and also helps them stay organized in one place.
Don't forget to tag us at #createdwithcarasupply with your own peg people counting game toys!
- the girls
**The products, materials, and supplies sold by Cara & Co. Silicone Craft Supply are intended for use by adults and should never be left unattended with a child.
***Small objects and beads can present choking hazards to young children. Never leave a child unattended with beads or other products. Always dispose of any damaged product. No product is completely indestructible, and fully formed teeth could potentially damage product if chewed aggressively, so responsible attentiveness is needed for any user or purchaser. Customers should always inspect and monitor their products, discontinuing use at the first sight of damage.
****Once our products have been sold and shipped to our customers, Cara & Co Silicone Craft Supply Inc., waives all responsibility and liability from the use of our products. Customers are responsible that their final products made from our supplies meet the appropriate safety requirements for their region. Our buyers understand that by purchasing our products or using suggestions from the above tutorial, the buyer assumes any and all responsibility and liability for the use of the products.
*****Cords, clasps and pacifier clips are not intended to be chewed on and may present choking hazards.