Tutorial: DIY Bead Doll
The possibilities are e n d l e s s with this one! No crown beads on hand? No problem, sub it out for a bow accent bead. Don’t love pink? We’ve got 78+ other amazing colors you can choose from. Don’t like the look of wood beads? You could use silicone beads for this tutorial as well! And to make it e v e n easier? We’ve got a downloadable template to keep things simple!
Remember: make sure you double knot where possible to keep your beads secure. And, as always, loose beads & craft supplies are a choking hazard - keep out of the reach of children under 4!
Planning to make her?? Show us your finished DIY Bead Doll by tagging us on social media with the hashtag #createdwithcarasupply!
Happy crafting friends! xo
-hot glue gun and sticks
-large crafting needle
-sewing machine, or a sewing needle and thread
-one 6" x 5" piece of cardboard
-small piece of cotton fabric
-white jersey t-shirt yarn - can be purchased here
-4 x 15mm silicone beads - can be purchased here
-12 x 10mm wood beads - can be purchased here
-16 x 16mm wood beads - can be purchased here
-1 x 1.25" wood bead - can be purchased here
-1 x silicone crown accent bead - can be purchased here
-2-3 lengths of white 60" regular cord - can be purchased here
1. Using the template provided, cut out two pieces of fabric. Sew (either with a sewing machine, or by hand) approximately along the sewing line, but do NOT sew across the bottom straight edge.
2. Carefully turn your sewn shape inside out (so that the raw edges are on the inside). Stuff the shape with your stuffing of choice. You could even use fabric scraps! Carefully sew along the bottom to seal in the stuffing.
3. Put aside the sewn shape. Take your piece of cardboard and jersey t-shirt yarn. Wrap the jersey yarn around the long edge of the board. Wrap your yarn around it approximately 50 times.
4. Carefully slide the jersey yarn off the cardboard. Cut another piece of jersey yarn long enough to tie around your bundle. Tie it tightly around the middle of the bundle.
5. Using your sewing scissors, cut all the loops. When finished, put aside your yarn pouffe.
6. Taking a long piece of regular cord, slide one of your colored 15mm silicone beads on. Pull it down about 3” and loop a long knot. Make sure that the knot is longer in shape, than round.
7. Thread on 8 x 16mm wood beads, pulling them over the knot you created and hiding the rest of the string. Loop the string back through the last bead to keep it secure and tighten.
8. Taking your glue gun, push glue into the end bead’s hole to secure the bead. Trim the remaining string so that it's long enough to tie eventually. We left about 5” on ours.
9. Repeat steps 7-8 to make another leg. Take the two long strands and double knot them tightly together.
10. Taking a foot long length of cord, tie a knot at one end. Slide on 1 x 15mm silicone bead, followed by 6 x 10mm wood beads.
11. Thread the same string on the end with a large crafting needle. Push your needle through the ‘shoulders’ of the doll body and pull the string through.
12. Thread on to the other side another 6 x 10mm wood beads followed by 1 x 15mm silicone bead. Secure the end with a knot. Trim the ends and set aside.
13. Take another 1.5’ length. Tie a loop knot on the end. Carefully thread on your accent bead, being sure to get both string ends through the hole. Follow the accent bead with one large 1.25” wood bead.
14. Thread your needle onto the string. Push the needle through the length of the body, and out the bottom.
15. Taking your jersey yarn pouffe, turn it so that the tie is hidden. Push your needle through the centre of the pouffe.
16. Taking the loose strings from the legs, and the string coming through the yarn pouffe, tie them together tightly. Make sure to double knot as many times as you think is necessary.
17. Your bead doll is finished! She makes the cutest addition to your children’s book shelves and toy shelf! Remind your kids to play with her carefully!
**The products, materials, and supplies sold by Cara & Co. Silicone Craft Supply are intended for use by adults and should never be left unattended with a child.
***Small objects and beads can present choking hazards to young children. Never leave a child unattended with beads or other products. Always dispose of any damaged product. No product is completely indestructible, and fully formed teeth could potentially damage product if chewed aggressively, so responsible attentiveness is needed for any user or purchaser. Customers should always inspect and monitor their products, discontinuing use at the first sight of damage.
****Once our products have been sold and shipped to our customers, Cara & Co Silicone Craft Supply Inc., waives all responsibility and liability from the use of our products. Customers are responsible that their final products made from our supplies meet the appropriate safety requirements for their region. Our buyers understand that by purchasing our products or using suggestions from the above tutorial, the buyer assumes any and all responsibility and liability for the use of the products.
*****Cords, clasps and pacifier clips are not intended to be chewed on and may present choking hazards.